Often times we think that straighteners simply straighten hair -- no matter how we use them. But there's more than meets the eye.
Here are some considerations for using your straightener effectively:
Choose the right type of plates.
- We recommend using tourmaline and ceramic plates. These plates distribute heat more evenly causing less damage to the hair.
Choose the right size plates for you.
- We recommend the smaller plated irons towards the shorter hair, and bigger plated irons towards longer hair.
Choose the right heat setting.
- Cranking up the heat setting because you're in a rush, does not mean it will straighten your hair more effectively.
Prep your hair.
- Using a heat protectant and hair smoothing product is ideal before using your hair iron. Think of it as a makeup primer, but for your head.
Clean your plates.
- The more residue on your plates, the less effective. Continuing to run plates with residue build-up through your hair will damage your hair more than you think. Be sure to clean the plates of your straightener at least once a week, or every couple of uses depending on how often you straighten your hair.
Looking for more hair hacks?
Check out 7 Surprising Summer Hair Hacks